MOUSAVI ADJUSTS TACTICS
Mousavi is trying to keep the momentum going. Responding to new media focus on women in the aftermath of NEDA's iconic murder, he let his wife, Zahra Rahnavard take center stage. She said on his website that the government should not behave as if Iran were in a"state of siege."
I regret that a large number of people among the political elite and others have been arrested, and I ask for their release. . . .
I have not been arrested. I continue my work at the university, but at the same time, alongside others, I protest. . .
Nationalism and the blood of the martyrs demand that I be on the scene, always protesting against the result of the election and defending people's rights within the framework of the law.
In an attempt to disrupt the economic life of the state, Mousavi is asking his followers to bring Iran's commercial life to a halt by closing the bazaars. The bazaaris played a central role in the 1979 revolution:
Mousavi – From Today every morning at 9am WE ALL travel to Tehran Bazaar – whatever reaction from Gov – Bazaar will close
Mousavi – stop all work and travel with friends & family toward Tehran Bazaar every day at 9am
Mousavi – do NOT wear green – dress normally – bring your children – if stopped u are ONLY going shopping
Mousavi – the objective is to bring Tehran to standstill – millions of people go shopping but NOBODY SHOPPING
Mousavi – There is nothing to fear – if asked – YOU ARE ONLY GOING SHOPPING
Mousavi – no matter what the reaction of the Gov – the Bazaar will close or be at standstill
In this he met with some success and government repression plays into his hands. If as one twitterer reports:"u cannot go anywhere without being stoped or beaten by militia." People are likely to stay home.
He is also encouraging strikes and government media reports that 30% of the workers failed to go to work. So, the strikers' number must be higher.
Finally, he called on some demonstrations and that led to a brutal crackdown:
ppl run into alleys and militia standing there waiting - from 2 sides they attack ppl in middle of alleys
saw 7/8 militia beating one woman with baton on ground - she had no defense nothing - #Iranelection sure that she is dead
they were waiting for us - they all have guns and riot uniforms - it was like a mouse trap - ppl being shot like animals
I see many ppl with broken arms/legs/heads - blood everywhere - pepper gas like war
just in from Baharestan Sq - situation today is terrible - they beat the ppls like animals -
The Iranian people have earned the respect of the world.
May they continue to be strong and courageous.
For all the back stage intrigue. In the end, it is the facts on the ground that will prove decisive.
This is the price - Some estimate the number of dead as 750
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton