MOUSAVI ADJUSTS TACTICS
Mousavi is trying to keep the momentum going. Responding to new media focus on women in the aftermath of NEDA's iconic murder, he let his wife, Zahra Rahnavard take center stage. She said on his website that the government should not behave as if Iran were in a"state of siege."
I regret that a large number of people among the political elite and others have been arrested, and I ask for their release. . . .
I have not been arrested. I continue my work at the university, but at the same time, alongside others, I protest. . .
Nationalism and the blood of the martyrs demand that I be on the scene, always protesting against the result of the election and defending people's rights within the framework of the law.
In an attempt to disrupt the economic life of the state, Mousavi is asking his followers to bring Iran's commercial life to a halt by closing the bazaars. The bazaaris played a central role in the 1979 revolution:
Mousavi – From Today every morning at 9am WE ALL travel to Tehran Bazaar – whatever reaction from Gov – Bazaar will close
Mousavi – stop all work and travel with friends & family toward Tehran Bazaar every day at 9am
Mousavi – do NOT wear green – dress normally – bring your children – if stopped u are ONLY going shopping
Mousavi – the objective is to bring Tehran to standstill – millions of people go shopping but NOBODY SHOPPING
Mousavi – There is nothing to fear – if asked – YOU ARE ONLY GOING SHOPPING
Mousavi – no matter what the reaction of the Gov – the Bazaar will close or be at standstill
In this he met with some success and government repression plays into his hands. If as one twitterer reports:"u cannot go anywhere without being stoped or beaten by militia." People are likely to stay home.
He is also encouraging strikes and government media reports that 30% of the workers failed to go to work. So, the strikers' number must be higher.
Finally, he called on some demonstrations and that led to a brutal crackdown:
ppl run into alleys and militia standing there waiting - from 2 sides they attack ppl in middle of alleys
saw 7/8 militia beating one woman with baton on ground - she had no defense nothing - #Iranelection sure that she is dead
they were waiting for us - they all have guns and riot uniforms - it was like a mouse trap - ppl being shot like animals
I see many ppl with broken arms/legs/heads - blood everywhere - pepper gas like war
just in from Baharestan Sq - situation today is terrible - they beat the ppls like animals -
The Iranian people have earned the respect of the world.
May they continue to be strong and courageous.
For all the back stage intrigue. In the end, it is the facts on the ground that will prove decisive.
This is the price - Some estimate the number of dead as 750
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges