LAST MINUTE DISHONOR MURDER IN PAKISTAN
If you still are not sure what we are fighting read this story: Five Pakistanis die in suspected honour killing . They did not want to miss the boat!
MULTAN, Pakistan, Jan 4 (Reuters) - Five family members were murdered in a suspected honour killing in Pakistan on Tuesday, police said, shortly before a law took effect making such crimes a capital offence.
Gunmen broke into the home of Munnawar Mai and opened fire, killing Mai, her husband Mukhtar and their two-year-old son as well as the mother and a brother of Mukhtar, police said.
Mai and Mukhtar eloped and married in 2002, defying her parents wish that she wed a cousin. Mai's family was still angry over her marriage, police chief Mohammad Jamil said.
"There appears to be an element of honour killing in this incident," he told Reuters. Police have detained three people in connection with the attack.
The incident happened shortly before President Pervez Musharraf signed a bill into law making such honour killings a capital offence, official media said.
Our Jordanian friends have yet to follow in Pakistan's footsteps. Our screams will not make any difference, some will argue. Really? The Saudis have already been shamed into tripling their contribution to the Tsunami victims. Now if only Germany could be shamed!
comments powered by Disqus
- A New Target for Old Spies: Congress
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades