Jo Van Fleet Shrugs (Anti-Government Speech in Wild River)
Delivered beautifully by actress Jo Van Fleet, the speech blasts FDR's New Deal, governmental relief, and power-hungry politicians. Most of all, it eloquently defends property rights.
Van Fleet is so effective in the role that she largely undermines the pro-New Deal message in the rest of the film.
comments powered by Disqus
Tim Sydney - 6/26/2009
Great video clip.
Aeon J. Skoble - 6/23/2009
That is terrific! I liked her analogy with the dog. Great stuff.
Jeffrey Rogers Hummel - 6/22/2009
I remember well seeing this movie on T.V. when I was still in High School. I still mention it in any of my classes that end up discussing dams as public goods or the T.V.A.
- In Trump’s America, is the Supreme Court still seen as legitimate?
- The Republican Plan to Repeal Obamacare for Everybody But Alaska Might Be Unconstitutional
- Parliament Square in London Is Closer to Having First Female Statue
- Battle Over Confederate Monuments Moves to the Cemeteries
- German WW1 U-boat found off Belgian coast
- Yale history department now emphasizing global history in undergraduate courses
- University of Utah appoints first Mormon Studies professor
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond