Jo Van Fleet Shrugs (Anti-Government Speech in Wild River)
Delivered beautifully by actress Jo Van Fleet, the speech blasts FDR's New Deal, governmental relief, and power-hungry politicians. Most of all, it eloquently defends property rights.
Van Fleet is so effective in the role that she largely undermines the pro-New Deal message in the rest of the film.
comments powered by Disqus
Tim Sydney - 6/26/2009
Great video clip.
Aeon J. Skoble - 6/23/2009
That is terrific! I liked her analogy with the dog. Great stuff.
Jeffrey Rogers Hummel - 6/22/2009
I remember well seeing this movie on T.V. when I was still in High School. I still mention it in any of my classes that end up discussing dams as public goods or the T.V.A.
- Roman Gladiators ate a mostly vegetarian diet and drank a tonic of ashes after training
- Massachusetts is celebrating the 250th anniversary of the wedding of John and Abigail Adams
- King Tut had overbite, club foot because his parents were brother and sister
- Prehistoric humans were far smarter than previously assumed
- Priests race to save manuscripts from jihadists in Iraq
- Highlights of the recent Oral History Association Meeting
- Rick Perlstein response to Sam Tanenhaus's complaint that he's an aggregator
- Thai historian faces charges for daring to challenge a story about a royal king
- It's Rick Perlstein vs. Judith Stein in a Three Round Fight
- Park Honan, a Biographer of Authors, Is Dead at 86