Jo Van Fleet Shrugs (Anti-Government Speech in Wild River)
Delivered beautifully by actress Jo Van Fleet, the speech blasts FDR's New Deal, governmental relief, and power-hungry politicians. Most of all, it eloquently defends property rights.
Van Fleet is so effective in the role that she largely undermines the pro-New Deal message in the rest of the film.
comments powered by Disqus
Tim Sydney - 6/26/2009
Great video clip.
Aeon J. Skoble - 6/23/2009
That is terrific! I liked her analogy with the dog. Great stuff.
Jeffrey Rogers Hummel - 6/22/2009
I remember well seeing this movie on T.V. when I was still in High School. I still mention it in any of my classes that end up discussing dams as public goods or the T.V.A.
- Sephardic Jews Feel Bigotry’s Sting in Turkey and a Pull Back to Spain
- Yemen museum destroyed
- Viking beaters: Scots and Irish may have settled Iceland a century before Norsemen
- Secret diary of a top Soviet official shows the leadership was in turmoil 15 years before the USSR’s demise
- New History Dispute Splits U.S. Allies in Asia
- NYT hosts debate: How Americans should remember Reconstruction
- William Leuchtenburg says historians and the media have been too hard on Obama
- Hugh Ambrose, historian who helped develop WWII Museum, dead at 48
- Historian discounts claim that Churchill and other British PM's were gay
- Nick Bunker Wins $50,000 2015 George Washington Book Prize