Jo Van Fleet Shrugs (Anti-Government Speech in Wild River)
Delivered beautifully by actress Jo Van Fleet, the speech blasts FDR's New Deal, governmental relief, and power-hungry politicians. Most of all, it eloquently defends property rights.
Van Fleet is so effective in the role that she largely undermines the pro-New Deal message in the rest of the film.
comments powered by Disqus
Tim Sydney - 6/26/2009
Great video clip.
Aeon J. Skoble - 6/23/2009
That is terrific! I liked her analogy with the dog. Great stuff.
Jeffrey Rogers Hummel - 6/22/2009
I remember well seeing this movie on T.V. when I was still in High School. I still mention it in any of my classes that end up discussing dams as public goods or the T.V.A.
- At Brandis the Afro-American studies faculty is siding with student protesters
- NYT's Notable Books of 2015: These are the history books that made the cut
- Petition signed by 44,000 to add more female thinkers to the Politics A Level syllabus in the UK
- Most Students Have No Clue What Accurate Native American History Looks Like
- Historians Re-Enter Presidential Studies