AAR for APA
Things I learned include: 1. When giving comments on a paper, even if the main speaker says he wants to give an extemporaneous talk, that doesn't mean I can give extemporaneous comments. I was less articulate than I had hoped, although others reported that they did get the distinction I was trying to make (between a natural-law type, end-state-driven notion of social evolution and a neo-Aristotelian natural-end-driven notion) and its relation to the main speaker's remarks on Hayek. My bad.
2. I can't do a great job on 2 hours sleep.
3. Jacob Levy is as cool in person as he is on-line. He attended both the Molinari meeting and the AAPSS meeting, and made good contributions to Q&A in both cases, plus I had the chance to chat with him informally a couple times.
4. The newly formed Molinari Society is off to a very promising start.
5. Medieval logic is much more powerful than it is typically given credit for. It can, e.g., answer DeMorgan's Challenge. (I'll discuss this further if anyone is even remotely interested.)
6. Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, while not quite the masterpiece that Cryptonomicon is, is terrific.
Although I'm"back" from the APA, I'm still on break doing family things, but I'll resume regular blogging later this week. BTW, thanks again to Roderick for charing the AAPSS session. Happy new year to all our readers.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity