THE KNOCK AT THE DOOR AT NIGHT
When I asked my father why we left Romania (penniless), he responded that he did not wish to live in a country where he feared the knock on the door. This is what he feared then in Communist Romania, this is what everyone living under dictatorship fears. This what Americans, and, indeed, those living in a democracy do not have to fear:
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history