Robert Fisk's The Ghosts of Vietnam
comments powered by Disqus
Sudha Shenoy - 12/30/2004
How would you know you had 'seen it through'/'finished the job'? Seen *what* through? 'Finished' *what* job? This is a recipe for indefinite occupation:there are no criteria to tell us what 'the job' (or 'it') is.Moreover this view presumes that Iraq is a blank slate; the complexities of the historical reality are not even remotely suspected.
Steven Horwitz - 12/30/2004
That argument is particularly ironic if made by classical liberal economists who should not be falling for the sunk cost fallacy that way. I'll gladly play poker with anyone who thinks we should be "in for a penny, in for a pound."
David T. Beito - 12/30/2004
Another variation on this theme is the following: some libertarians(and leftists) concede that U.S. intervention in Iraq was a bad idea but then argue we now have an obligation to "see it through" and "finish the job." I could never see the logic of this antiwar pro-occupation position. If intervening produced negative consequences, wouldn't staying in Iraq only compound these negative consequences?
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges