TODAY IT'S SOUTH TEHRAN: TOMORROW KHAMENEI &BASIJ
Today belongs to the opposition.Matthew Weaver interviews
Crucial point: This time the massive demonstration (a million?) invaded Ahmadinejad's stronghold in South Tehran. The bazzar was closed. They also marched to Enqelab square passed the foreign embassies. Said recommends staying away from mosques tomorrow to avoid trouble. See below.
Andrew Sullivan has twitters.
Tomorrow may see trouble Khameini to lead Friday prayers with Islamic militia
Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei will lead Friday prayers in Tehran in the presence of the Basij volunteer Islamic militia, the Mehr news agency said on Thursday.
"Alert Basijis... with their epic presence, will take part in Friday's prayers to be led by Ayatollah Khamenei," the agency quoted a statement issued by the militia.
The Basij, which has been at the forefront of the crackdown on protesters, also warned the defeated presidential candidates who have complained about the re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that they must"explicitly dissociate themselves from the rioters".
Supporters of defeated challengers Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi have said they will join the prayers, for the rare occasion they are being led by Khamenei.
The Basij called for all sides to"avoid provocative actions."
Excellent summation of where we are
comments powered by Disqus
- Hero Marine Dad Will Unleash Hell Itself If Daughter’s World History Class Says Muslims Are Real
- Historians Against the War joins peace activists in pressing Congress to support a diplomatic solutions to conflict with Iran over nukes
- Despite new hires, Yale history department retains vacancies
- African-American Professor: Reagan Did More To Help Black Education Than Obama
- Turning West, Historians Take a Wider View of Early America