Paula Fredriksen,"The Nazi of Nazareth," Tablet, 10 June, reviews Susannah Heschel's Aryan Jesus: Christian Theologians and the Bible in Nazi Germany.
Robert O. Paxton,"Occupied Minds," BookForum, June/August, reviews Frederic Spotts's The Shameful Peace: How French Artists and Intellectuals Survived the Nazi Occupation, Kirrily Freeman's Bronzes to Bullets: Vichy and the Destruction of French Public Statuary, 1941-1944, and Art of the Defeat, France 1940-1944 by Laurence Bertrand Dorleac, Jane Marie Todd, and Serge Guilbaut.
Ron Rosenbaum,"Save the Salinger Archives!" Slate, 5 June, speculates that there may be something important in J. D.'s papers.
Stan Katz,"Jim Leach at NEH," Brainstorm, 10 June, shares my enthusiasm for the former Iowa congressman's nomination to head the National Endowment for the Humanities.
comments powered by Disqus
Alan Allport - 6/11/2009
The NYT article (typically) elides the difference between research interests and teaching responsibilities. Professor X may list the semiotics of Peruvian basketweaving as one of her publishing fields, but you can bet that that isn't the only thing she teaches, particularly if she's in a small department.
Dave Stone - 6/11/2009
The AHA figures used here occasioned some discussion back in 2007 when they first appeared:
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Trump Recording Narrows Divide on Sexual Assault
- SUNY professor says Trump win at least 87 percent certain; other polls 'bunk'
- Petition Started to Include Clarence Thomas in National African American Museum
- The Racial Politics of Nat Turner Tours
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller