LEBANESE CREDIT BUSH; FRIEDMAN CREDITS OBAMA
I confess. I’m a sucker for free and fair elections. . . . So I came to Lebanon on Sunday to watch the Lebanese hold their national election. It was indeed free and fair — not like the pretend election you are about to see in Iran, where only candidates approved by the Supreme Leader can run. No, in Lebanon it was the real deal, and the results were fascinating: President Barack Obama defeated President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran.
I read on hoping for a quote confirming the speculation. There wasn't one. He did have one crediting President Bush:
As more than one Lebanese whispered to me: Without George Bush standing up to the Syrians in 2005 — and forcing them to get out of Lebanon after the Hariri killing — this free election would not have happened. Mr. Bush helped create the space. Power matters.
Actually, Bush did not use any power. Once Nassralah attacked, Israel used power. But do not expect anyone to credit her. Instead, Friedman continues thus:
Mr. Obama helped stir the hope. Words also matter.
Well, at least he did not follow in the footsteps of those who manufature quotes. For believe me, if even one Lebanese would have credited Obama, he would have quoted him. As is, Friedman merely resorts to assertions. I can see W. shrugging his shoulders. He knows history will vindicate him and Lebanese (and Iranians, for that matter) know Obama could not care less about spreading democracy.
Indeed, the opposite is true. Obama believes that American efforts to spread democracy is nothing but an expression of American hubris and he wishes to promote a humble American foreign policy by such actions as referring to the Koran as holy, bowing deeply before the Saudi King and extending a hand of frienship to dictators.
Tom Friedman knows all this. But he still wishes too much to be in Obama's good book to tell the truth.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't