20th Century Biography
Dagmar Herzog,"Berlin Underground," NYT, 5 June, reviews Anne Nelson's Red Orchestra: The Story of the Berlin Underground and the Circle of Friends Who Resisted Hitler.
Max Boot,"Gang of Four," NYT, 5 June, reviews Andrew Roberts's Master and Commander: How Four Titans Won the War in the West, 1941-1945.
Todd Gitlin,"I. F. Stone, Journalist -- and Spy?" American Prospect, 5 June, reviews D.D. Guttenplan's American Radical: The Life and Times of I. F. Stone and Spies: The Rise and Fall of the KGB in America by John Earl Haynes, Harvey Klehr, and Alexander Vassiliev.
Paul Berman,"Telling the Tale," NYT, 5 June, reviews Gerald Martin's Gabriel García Márquez: A Life.
John Gray,"The Cosy Philosopher," Literary Review, June, reviews Isaiah Berlin, Enlightening: Letters 1946-1960, edited by Henry Hardy and Jennifer Holmes with the assistance of Serena Moore.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Tourism spot for Colonial Williamsburg shocks some New Yorkers during Super Bowl 50 for use of 9/11 attack footage
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history
- American Historical Association protests Turkey’s crackdown on historians and other academics who signed a a petition critical of the Turkish government
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948