20th Century Biography
Dagmar Herzog,"Berlin Underground," NYT, 5 June, reviews Anne Nelson's Red Orchestra: The Story of the Berlin Underground and the Circle of Friends Who Resisted Hitler.
Max Boot,"Gang of Four," NYT, 5 June, reviews Andrew Roberts's Master and Commander: How Four Titans Won the War in the West, 1941-1945.
Todd Gitlin,"I. F. Stone, Journalist -- and Spy?" American Prospect, 5 June, reviews D.D. Guttenplan's American Radical: The Life and Times of I. F. Stone and Spies: The Rise and Fall of the KGB in America by John Earl Haynes, Harvey Klehr, and Alexander Vassiliev.
Paul Berman,"Telling the Tale," NYT, 5 June, reviews Gerald Martin's Gabriel García Márquez: A Life.
John Gray,"The Cosy Philosopher," Literary Review, June, reviews Isaiah Berlin, Enlightening: Letters 1946-1960, edited by Henry Hardy and Jennifer Holmes with the assistance of Serena Moore.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity