Holland Cotter,"Putting ‘Primitive' to Rest," NYT, 4 June, reviews"African and Oceanic Art From the Barbier-Mueller Museum, Geneva: A Legacy of Collecting," an exhibit at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art.
At Legal History, Sally Greene is doing a series of posts on newly discovered archival evidence on the case of State v Mann (1829). A major case in American slave law, it starkly held that a master's authority is absolute.
Volume XI of the Journal of Southern Religion is online! It publishes Kelly Baker, Ed Blum, Fitzhugh Brundage, Anthea Butler, Wayne Flynt, Charles Irons, Randall Stephens and many other historians.
Ian Sansom,"Hucksters, mavericks and visionaries," Guardian, 6 June, reviews Helen Carr's The Verse Revolutionaries: Ezra Pound, HD and the Imagists.
Max Hastings reviews Matthew Cobb's The resistance: The French Fight Against the Nazis for London's Sunday Times, 7 June.
Paul Tankard reviews William Gray's Fantasy, Myth and the Measure of Truth: Tales of Pullman, Lewis, Tolkien, MacDonald and Hoffmann for the THES, 4 June.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity