University of Southern Mississippi's Accreditation is Threatened
The University of Southern Mississippi, after two and a half years of misrule by President Shelby F. Thames, has been hit with a one-year probation by its accrediting agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Thorough coverage by the Hattiesburg American and the Jackson Clarion-Ledger is well worth a read.
Stunned by the outcome, Thames is hastily denying responsibility but has yet to recover the presence of mind to designate a scapegoat. He will need one, particularly since SACS officials have now told the press that the probation was two years in the making. Soon we will know which of Thames' remaining administrative henchpeople has all of a sudden become expendable.
Everyone will want to know how the Institutions of Higher Learning Board of Trustees is going to react to the latest fiasco; the Board meets later this month.
My admittedly cynical prediction is that Thames' chief sponsor, Roy Klumb, and his allies on the Board will publicly deplore the probation and declare that of course Thames will succeed in getting it lifted--while privately rejoicing, and fully expecting Thames to finish the job by getting USM deaccredited.
Further breaking news: the USM chapter of the American Association of University Professors has formally requested an investigation of USM's administration by the national AAUP.
comments powered by Disqus
Chris Matthew Sciabarra - 12/10/2004
You've done such a service by documenting all of this. You should definitely provide an index for all your detailed writings on this important subject. It is remarkable.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity