RUTH, JEW BY CHOICE
The rabbi said and I concur:"More than Israel kept the Torah; the Torah kept safe Israel."
On Shavuot we celebrate the day G-d gave us the Torah. G-d, not Moses. Us not Moses. The Rabbis said that every Jew who was ever born or will be born attended, including converts. In that sense we are all Jews by choice. Perhaps, that is the reason we read the Book of Ruth, on this day. Dr. Rachael Turkienicz has an interesting feminist take on this subject.
I do not agree that it is impossible to leave Judaism. Indeed, we know plenty have done so especially following major disasters such as the expulsion from Spain or the Holocaust. The real miracle is that so many stayed. But, then, as G-d often lamented, we are stubborn people.
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"