RUTH, JEW BY CHOICE
The rabbi said and I concur:"More than Israel kept the Torah; the Torah kept safe Israel."
On Shavuot we celebrate the day G-d gave us the Torah. G-d, not Moses. Us not Moses. The Rabbis said that every Jew who was ever born or will be born attended, including converts. In that sense we are all Jews by choice. Perhaps, that is the reason we read the Book of Ruth, on this day. Dr. Rachael Turkienicz has an interesting feminist take on this subject.
I do not agree that it is impossible to leave Judaism. Indeed, we know plenty have done so especially following major disasters such as the expulsion from Spain or the Holocaust. The real miracle is that so many stayed. But, then, as G-d often lamented, we are stubborn people.
comments powered by Disqus
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- Carla Hayden says Frederick Douglass "might have a lot to do with the fact that I am a librarian”
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit