RUTH, JEW BY CHOICE
The rabbi said and I concur:"More than Israel kept the Torah; the Torah kept safe Israel."
On Shavuot we celebrate the day G-d gave us the Torah. G-d, not Moses. Us not Moses. The Rabbis said that every Jew who was ever born or will be born attended, including converts. In that sense we are all Jews by choice. Perhaps, that is the reason we read the Book of Ruth, on this day. Dr. Rachael Turkienicz has an interesting feminist take on this subject.
I do not agree that it is impossible to leave Judaism. Indeed, we know plenty have done so especially following major disasters such as the expulsion from Spain or the Holocaust. The real miracle is that so many stayed. But, then, as G-d often lamented, we are stubborn people.
comments powered by Disqus
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- CIA: “Pinochet personally ordered” Letelier bombing
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history