Commerce and Sex, Left and Right
"Commerce is to the left as sex is to the right."
This little thesis is developed nicely, with the following wonderful, and I think oddly apropos, punchline:
"Of course, by this model, libertarians suddenly become godless, amoral hedonists and Marxist gender-theorists become elitist, puritannical killjoys."
Indeed. I'm proud, in fact very proud, to proclaim myself a godless amoral hedonist with respect to both sex and commerce (and rock and roll for that matter)!
Seriously, I do find this an interesting way to cut the issues and it does explain the way in which I find both the Left and Right to be "puritans" of one sort or another.
comments powered by Disqus
Steven Horwitz - 11/23/2004
We're cool - we're not Marxists. ;)
Roderick T. Long - 11/20/2004
> Of course, by this model,
> libertarians suddenly become
> godless, amoral hedonists and
> Marxist gender-theorists become
> elitist, puritannical killjoys.
So what do libertarian gender-theorists become?
- Letters collection offers unique gimplse into ordeal of Australian aborigines
- War, More Than ISIS, Is Destroying Syria's Ancient Sites
- Pew Poll: Trust in government is at historic lows
- If "The Donald" Said It Happened, It Happened! And Don't You Forget It!
- Solved: the mystery of Britain’s Bronze Age mummies
- Anne Frank Faced Challenges Similar to Syrian Refugees, Richard Breitman Says
- Douglass North, Nobel Prize-winning economics historian, dies at 95
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project