Commerce and Sex, Left and Right
"Commerce is to the left as sex is to the right."
This little thesis is developed nicely, with the following wonderful, and I think oddly apropos, punchline:
"Of course, by this model, libertarians suddenly become godless, amoral hedonists and Marxist gender-theorists become elitist, puritannical killjoys."
Indeed. I'm proud, in fact very proud, to proclaim myself a godless amoral hedonist with respect to both sex and commerce (and rock and roll for that matter)!
Seriously, I do find this an interesting way to cut the issues and it does explain the way in which I find both the Left and Right to be "puritans" of one sort or another.
comments powered by Disqus
Steven Horwitz - 11/23/2004
We're cool - we're not Marxists. ;)
Roderick T. Long - 11/20/2004
> Of course, by this model,
> libertarians suddenly become
> godless, amoral hedonists and
> Marxist gender-theorists become
> elitist, puritannical killjoys.
So what do libertarian gender-theorists become?
- Russian History Receives a Makeover That Starts With Ivan the Terrible
- Parsing Ronald Reagan’s Words for Early Signs of Alzheimer’s
- Here's a look at history of 'religious freedom' laws
- ‘Hamilton’ Puts Politics Onstage and Politicians in Attendance
- Earth Tectonic Plate Simulation Reveals Our Planet Has Changed A Lot In 200 Million Years
- Historians make it easy for visitors to DC to understand the history of the Mall
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science
- Ken Burns tackles history of cancer
- If historians have their way, Americans will soon learn how important religion has been in US history