Nov 15, 2004 6:26 am
comments powered by Disqus
Torture by Proxy
There are credible reports that the US is flying"terrorist suspects" to countries that will torture them to obtain information. The Sunday Times (London) states,"An executive jet is being used by US intelligence agencies to fly terrorist suspects to countries that use torture in their prisons. The movements of the Gulfstream 5, leased by agents from the US Defence Department and the CIA, are detailed in confidential logs obtained by The Sunday Times which cover more than 300 flights. Countries with poor human rights records to which the Americans have delivered prisoners include Egypt, Syria and Uzbekistan, according to the files. The logs have prompted allegations from critics that the agency is using such regimes to carry out 'torture by proxy' -- a charge denied by the American government." Hardly surprising, given that Alberto Gonzales -- the new US Attorney General (pending Senate approval) does not believe in the rights of prisoners of war, thinks the Geneva Convention is outmoded and authored the infamous"torture memo". A letter to the Boston Globe commented on the transition from Ashcroft to Gonzales,"As we lead the charge for democracy in Afghanistan and Iraq, we are going to go from a lawyer who wants to ignore the civil rights granted to us by the US Constitution to one who wants to ignore the human rights recognized by world institutions."
For more commentary, please see McBlog.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges