A Love Letter from a Democrat
It will at least give you the warm fuzzies, and we can all use a smile these days. via Catallarchy
comments powered by Disqus
tex mac - 11/6/2004
Gus diZerega - 11/6/2004
I agree. I have been impressed with the extraordinary number of liberals who, if they said the same things in 1964, would have been called Goldwater Conservatives. Think Brad DeLong and Matt Yglesias for two prominant ones. Kevin Drum as well. They have definitley fallen out of love with the Progressive idea of benevolent nonpolitical experts making our decisions for us.
And unlike the Goldwater Conservatives, they are better on any uumber of moral issues.
A piece of mine arguing National Forests should be nationalized into democratic Forest Trusts will be appearing in Wild Earth, a pretty hard core environmental magazine. If the idea happened, a high percentage of land in the West would pass from Congressional and Presidential control to self-selected citizens who would be responsible for raising the funds needed to operate them.
Neither conservative nor liberal mean what they meant 40 or even 20 years ago.
David Gross - 11/6/2004
I think it's very likely that the long-standing liberal/Democrat love affair with the federal government is at an end. It's hard for a Democrat to love the federal government when all three of its branches are in the hands of the Republicans. And the new deal / civil rights enforcement reasons for supporting the feds don't hold much water any more. Libertarians may have an opening here.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- DNA Offers Insights into European Hunter Gatherers
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948
- 'Comfort women' and a lesson in how history is shaped in California textbooks
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth