The NYC Subway Centennial
Today marks the 100th anniversary of the opening of the New York City Subway. It is interesting to note that the subway system began with the Interborough Rapid Transit (IRT), a private line that ran the 9.1 mile route from City Hall to West 145th street. The system has survived government unification,"King Kong," Satan (in"The Devil's Advocate"), aliens (in"Men in Black II"), and Gene Hackman's high-speed car chase in"The French Connection." And it runs 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, for the city that never sleeps. Happy birthday.
comments powered by Disqus
- Unilateral U.S. nuclear pullback in 1991 matched by rapid Soviet cuts
- More Historians Come Out for Trump
- History lesson horrifies parent: Blacks used to have ‘strong work ethic’ during slavery
- Philippines President Compares Himself To Hitler in Anti-Crime Rant
- U.S. Extradites Baltimore Professor to Rwanda to Stand Trial for Genocide