The NYC Subway Centennial
Today marks the 100th anniversary of the opening of the New York City Subway. It is interesting to note that the subway system began with the Interborough Rapid Transit (IRT), a private line that ran the 9.1 mile route from City Hall to West 145th street. The system has survived government unification,"King Kong," Satan (in"The Devil's Advocate"), aliens (in"Men in Black II"), and Gene Hackman's high-speed car chase in"The French Connection." And it runs 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, for the city that never sleeps. Happy birthday.
comments powered by Disqus
- Archaeologists Take Wrong Turn, Find World’s Oldest Stone Tools
- Evidence of Pre-Columbus Trade Found in Alaska House
- Rwanda Pullout Driven by Clinton White House, U.N. Equivocation
- Centuries of Italian History Are Unearthed in Quest to Fix Toilet
- The U.S. Discovery of Israel's Secret Nuclear Project