KERRY INADVERTANTLY CAUSES HAVOC IN HAITI
If John Kerry becomes president, I hope it will not happen before he learns that his careless words can cause real harm to helpless people like the Haitians who really do not need more trouble. Time for an appology?
"The commander of the United Nations peacekeeping force in Haiti says comments by U.S. Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry may have helped trigger a recent wave of violence in the country.
Brazilian General Augusto Heleno said Mr. Kerry's comments may have raised hopes among supporters of former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide that the ousted leader would return to power.
General Heleno was referring to remarks Mr. Kerry made to The New York Times some 7 months ago. Mr. Kerry said if he were president, he would have sent U.S. troops to protect Mr. Aristide. He also criticized the Bush administration's policy in Haiti as"shortsighted."
There was no immediate response to the general's charges from Mr. Kerry.
Mr. Aristide left the country under international pressure in February as rebels descended on Port-au-Prince. Much of the violence since his departure has been blamed on his loyalists".
The mainstream media silence on this costly Kerry blunder is defeaning.
comments powered by Disqus
- Watch every presidential debate since 1960
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history