KERRY INADVERTANTLY CAUSES HAVOC IN HAITI
If John Kerry becomes president, I hope it will not happen before he learns that his careless words can cause real harm to helpless people like the Haitians who really do not need more trouble. Time for an appology?
"The commander of the United Nations peacekeeping force in Haiti says comments by U.S. Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry may have helped trigger a recent wave of violence in the country.
Brazilian General Augusto Heleno said Mr. Kerry's comments may have raised hopes among supporters of former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide that the ousted leader would return to power.
General Heleno was referring to remarks Mr. Kerry made to The New York Times some 7 months ago. Mr. Kerry said if he were president, he would have sent U.S. troops to protect Mr. Aristide. He also criticized the Bush administration's policy in Haiti as"shortsighted."
There was no immediate response to the general's charges from Mr. Kerry.
Mr. Aristide left the country under international pressure in February as rebels descended on Port-au-Prince. Much of the violence since his departure has been blamed on his loyalists".
The mainstream media silence on this costly Kerry blunder is defeaning.
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)