THE EGYPTIAN MEDIA - A MAJOR SOURCE OF TROUBLE IN THE MIDDLE EAST
The Egyptian media coverage of the Taba bombing is typical of all that is wrong with the Middle East - First, they try to ignore the event -
"I couldn't believe what I was seeing," said Hossam El- Garahi, a stock exchange analyst. Having learned of the incident from the satellite channel, Al-Arabiya, El-Garahi kept flipping back to Egyptian TV, determined to find out more about what was going on in Taba."All the channels had the regular stuff going on -- a play here, a video clip there -- it was like this thing wasn't happening in Egypt."
Millions of other people couldn't believe their eyes as they watched their TV screens late Thursday night. It wasn't just the horrific images emerging from Taba that astounded them, but the seeming oblivion to those events being demonstrated by their local channels.
Then, they blame everybody else -
The following are reports in the Egyptian media that blame the U.S. and Israel for the Taba attacks. In a response to a journalist's question during his recent visit to Italy, President Hosni Mubarak rejected the accusations against Israel and the U.S." until the investigations lead to results." Progressive columnist Mamoun Fandy attacked conspiracy theories and their proponents.
Columnist Adli Barsum wrote in the Egyptian government daily Al-Gumhuriya :"Who planned the bombings in Taba and who carried them out? Is it the Al-Qa'ida organization, which Israel hastened to hold responsible, even before the smoke of the fires had dissipated?
"Is it the Mossad? [After all,] there are those in Tel Aviv who are not happy about Egypt's efforts to resolve the disputes between the various Palestinian factions, and there are those who are working to spread civil war between the Palestinians and Egypt.
"Is it the CIA? [It] may perhaps be interested in preoccupying the Arabs with the events in Taba instead of dealing with the recent scandalous U.S. veto.
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea