Jimmy Carter, Revolutionary War Historian?
Tom Bruscino, at his blog, taking Jimmy Carter to task for misstatements made about the Revolutionary War on Chris Matthews's show, "Hardball":
MATTHEWS: "Do you see any parallels between the fighting that we did on our side and the fighting that is going on in Iraq today?"
CARTER: "Well, one parallel is that the Revolutionary War more than any other war until recently has been the most bloody war we've fought."
Check these numbers on Casualties ....:
In Iraq we have lost roughly 1,000 troops in eighteen or nineteen months, 55-65 troops killed per month. The death percentage of total troops even in theater is well less than one percent, and the casualty rate is tiny, too.
So where is Carter wrong? oh yeah, just about everywhere. More Americans have been killed in action per month in every war except the Revolution and the war in Iraq.
This is the guy people think was one of our smartest presidents. I'm sorry,
that statement is so un-freaking-believably dumb that it should end any discussion
of how smart Jimmy Carter is. Throw out everything else, even an idiot should
know that the Civil War was more bloody than the Revolution, by any standard.
comments powered by Disqus
Tom Bruscino - 8/4/2005
Excuse me? If he's too old to be cogent, he shouldn't be doing interviews. If he has had no historical training then he shouldn't make historical analogies.
There is nothing remotely partisan about the post. But if you have a problem with my work being on this forum, talk to the editor, because I did not put it here.
Seth Cable Tubman - 5/11/2005
Give the guy a break you idiot. He's 80 years old and never had formal historical training. Quit using this forum for partisan potshots.
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize