In last night's debate, did anybody besides me notice how much John Kerry's market-socialist plan for fixing health care sounded like President Bush's market-socialist plan for fixing Social Security?
In related news, I've recently posted on my website an article I wrote in 1996 trying (unsuccessfully) to persuade local gun-rights activists to vote for the LP; it's my attempt to deal with the"wasted vote" argument, and is obviously meant to apply more broadly than just the gun issue. Check it out here.
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 10/19/2004
Roderick T. Long - 10/18/2004
As far as I've been able to determine (and admittedly my eyes glaze over when I look through the arguments on both sides), Browne's ethical lapses were greater than the Browne people claimed but less serious than Browne's critics claimed. I think Browne was a good candidate, articulate and professional -- you could *picture* him as President, which is more than can be said for the current candidate. But yeah, I'm more concerned about growing the party than I am about whichever doofus happens to be running.
Aeon J. Skoble - 10/15/2004
Do you still feel this way in spite of R.W. Bradford's writings on Browne's ethical lapses? Is the main point of your 96 piece that it doesn't so much matter what the LP guy says or does in any particular year so long as support for the party grows enough to make them influential? I'm not being querulous, I'm really asking.
- A New Target for Old Spies: Congress
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- British historian Sheila Lecoeur is on trial for defamation
- Jim Downs laments that Americans still aren’t being taught LGBT history
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award