In last night's debate, did anybody besides me notice how much John Kerry's market-socialist plan for fixing health care sounded like President Bush's market-socialist plan for fixing Social Security?
In related news, I've recently posted on my website an article I wrote in 1996 trying (unsuccessfully) to persuade local gun-rights activists to vote for the LP; it's my attempt to deal with the"wasted vote" argument, and is obviously meant to apply more broadly than just the gun issue. Check it out here.
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 10/19/2004
Roderick T. Long - 10/18/2004
As far as I've been able to determine (and admittedly my eyes glaze over when I look through the arguments on both sides), Browne's ethical lapses were greater than the Browne people claimed but less serious than Browne's critics claimed. I think Browne was a good candidate, articulate and professional -- you could *picture* him as President, which is more than can be said for the current candidate. But yeah, I'm more concerned about growing the party than I am about whichever doofus happens to be running.
Aeon J. Skoble - 10/15/2004
Do you still feel this way in spite of R.W. Bradford's writings on Browne's ethical lapses? Is the main point of your 96 piece that it doesn't so much matter what the LP guy says or does in any particular year so long as support for the party grows enough to make them influential? I'm not being querulous, I'm really asking.
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges