Before We Discuss the Debate
The other day the WSJ ran a piece saying that US voters have never defeated an incumbent during wartime. And then USA Today said the same thing in a piece we excerpted on HNN:
"Up to now, no American president who sought another term during a time of war has been defeated."
Is there a more useless observation?
No, wartime presidents haven't been voted out of office. When the wars were going badly they had the good sense not to run again. Truman in 1952 and Johnson in 1968 both knew their chances of victory were nil.
If Bush is counting on the fact that no incumbent has been voted out during wartime he better start preparing to return to Crawford for a long rest.
Yes, Americans are reluctant to swap horses in the middle of the stream. But they turn sour on bad wars fast and presidents know this.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 10/14/2004
Interestingly, the examples of voluntary one-termers you offer did not preside over declared wars, but in the post-WWII limbo wars. Perhaps there's some virtue in having Congress declare war, if you're a president contemplating running for reelection.
I wonder what the post-war turnout rate is? After all, the war is over (who won?), unless you count the unending "war on fear and loathing."
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity