Smash the Plutocracy!
I'm pleased to announce that I've received permission from Reason magazine to post Roy Childs' classic 1971 essay Big Business and the Rise of American Statism on the Molinari Institute website. This is, to the best of my knowledge, the first time this excellent specimen of radical libertarian social analysis has been made available online. Drawing on Austro-Randian methodology and New Left historiography, Childs develops a libertarian interpretation of the Progressive Era, showing that government regulations supposedly designed to curb the power of the big corporations were actually introduced at the instigation and for the benefit of those corporations. I find this essay quite useful for libertarian outreach to the left (as well as for left-libertarian outreach to recovering-Republican libertarians). Read it here.
comments powered by Disqus
Kenneth R Gregg - 10/3/2004
I must echo your sentiments, Dr. Marina. Roy was quite good in historical analyses and followed the structure that Murray framed and I remember he wrote and lectured quite a bit on the subject (seems to me I remember a conference in San Francisco many years ago in which both you and Roy spoke on the subject).
There is also Butler Shaffer's recent book, "In Restraint of Trade: The Business Campaign Against Competition" (Bucknell U. Press, 1997), but it would have a treasure to have had Murray's book completed.
Just a thought.
William Marina - 10/3/2004
It was nice of you to put Roy's essay online. Most readers will not have read Kolko, Weinstein, LaFeber or Rothbard. It is a pity MNR never completed his projected book on the Progressive Era beyond several essays.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't