The Tax Bill of the “Overseer” of the Empire and His Lady
As reported by Bloomberg, Obama’s income of over $2.7 million came mostly from sales of his two books, on which he paid a tax of over $850K. His new tax plan would cost him another $102K.
The Republicans and their"tea bags," have managed in the long run to find another stale issue. The real issue is equity within the tax system, along with regulation of Wall St., as well as what Mark Twain once called"the Lawyer Tribe," now about to feast vampire-like on the carcass of Lehman Brothers. American"Legalism" has made historical Chinese Legalism look like a modest-Mandarin effort!
comments powered by Disqus
Lester Hunt - 4/17/2009
If your comments to the effect that Americans are not taxed very much and Obama might come up with a medical plan that will lower taxes were jokes, I take back my earlier remark. However, these joke were not funny.
Lester Hunt - 4/16/2009
Are you saying that Americans aren't or shouldn't be upset with taxes because there are plenty of other states that take even more? I don't see what one fact has to do with the other.
As to the "equity" of the tax system, I keep thinking of what Keynes called "the doctrine of equal unfairness" which holds, roughly, that any act becomes just if it is done to everybody.
David T. Beito - 4/16/2009
Equity in what sense? The rich are paying an ever higher percentage of the total tax bill.
The State - 4/16/2009
thought you might enjoy this twitter
it’s from the point of view of the state
- A New Target for Old Spies: Congress
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- British historian Sheila Lecoeur is on trial for defamation
- Jim Downs laments that Americans still aren’t being taught LGBT history
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award