The Tax Bill of the “Overseer” of the Empire and His Lady
As reported by Bloomberg, Obama’s income of over $2.7 million came mostly from sales of his two books, on which he paid a tax of over $850K. His new tax plan would cost him another $102K.
The Republicans and their"tea bags," have managed in the long run to find another stale issue. The real issue is equity within the tax system, along with regulation of Wall St., as well as what Mark Twain once called"the Lawyer Tribe," now about to feast vampire-like on the carcass of Lehman Brothers. American"Legalism" has made historical Chinese Legalism look like a modest-Mandarin effort!
comments powered by Disqus
Lester Hunt - 4/17/2009
If your comments to the effect that Americans are not taxed very much and Obama might come up with a medical plan that will lower taxes were jokes, I take back my earlier remark. However, these joke were not funny.
Lester Hunt - 4/16/2009
Are you saying that Americans aren't or shouldn't be upset with taxes because there are plenty of other states that take even more? I don't see what one fact has to do with the other.
As to the "equity" of the tax system, I keep thinking of what Keynes called "the doctrine of equal unfairness" which holds, roughly, that any act becomes just if it is done to everybody.
David T. Beito - 4/16/2009
Equity in what sense? The rich are paying an ever higher percentage of the total tax bill.
The State - 4/16/2009
thought you might enjoy this twitter
it’s from the point of view of the state
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges