Tom Holland,"The Revolt That Ravaged An Empire," Washington Post, 5 April, reviews Barry Strauss's The Spartacus War.
Adam Kirsch,"Sealed with a Kiss," NYT, 3 April, reviews Susan Gubar's Judas: A Biography.
Claire Tomalin,"A Woman for All Seasons," NYT, 2 April, reviews John Guy's A Daughter's Love: Thomas More and His Dearest Meg.
Martha A. Sandweiss,"Invisible Woman," Washington Post, 5 April, reviews Lea VanderVelde's Mrs. Dred Scott: A Life on Slavery's Frontier.
Susan Dominus,"The Past as Peep Show," NYT, 2 April, reviews Kat Long's The Forbidden Apple: A Century of Sex and Sin in New York City and Donna Dennis's Licentious Gotham: Erotic Publishing and Its Prosecution in Nineteenth-Century New York.
Adam Kirsch,"Life On Venus: Europe's Last Man," World Affairs, Spring, features the speculation of late 19th century intellectuals that bourgeois culture would destroy the human spirit.
20th Century Notes below the fold ...
Joseph O'Neill,"I'll Go On," NYT, 2 April, reviews Martha Dow Fehsenfeld and Lois More Overbeck, eds., The Letters of Samuel Beckett: Volume I: 1929-1940.
Patricia Cohen,"New Deal Revisionism: Theories Collide," NYT, 3 April, reports on a conference organized by Amity Shlaes and co-sponsored by New York's Council on Foreign Relations and NYU's Leonard N. Stern School of Business.
Jeffrey Gettleman,"A Wound in the Heart of Africa," NYT, 2 April, reviews Gérard Prunier's Africa's World War: Congo, the Rwandan Genocide, and the Making of a Continental Catastrophe.
Suzanne Dailey,"Who is Thabo Mbeki?" NYT, 2 April, reviews Mark Gevisser's A Legacy of Liberation: Thabo Mbeki and the Future of the South African Dream.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump visits the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- New Book Says Bob Woodward Burned Hillary Clinton’s Ghostwriter
- For decades they hid Jefferson’s relationship with her. Now Monticello is making room for Sally Hemings.
- In a Walt Whitman Novel, Lost for 165 Years, Clues to ‘Leaves of Grass’
- Veteran Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans