comments powered by Disqus
Ralph E. Luker - 9/15/2004
I have the impression that all the talk about Viet Nam _really_ is, in many ways, talk about Iraq. Perhaps we have to confront the present through an historical lens precisely because the present is too painful to confront directly.
Charles Johnson - 9/14/2004
Well, this is only half the story. After all, while John Kerry did volunteer to fight in Vietnam, he later opposed the war, and played a major role in organizing against it; whereas while George W. Bush had strings pulled to keep him far away from the fightin', he strongly supported the war.
David T. Beito - 9/14/2004
There is another example, sort of. In 1940, the pro-war FDR had failed to volunteer in WWI despite the stern advice of his cousin Teddy. His opponent Wendell Wilkie (who took a slightly skeptical view of the WWII) had enlisted in 1916.
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges