Happy Birthday Senator Taft
Senator Robert A. Taft was born on this day in 1889. He was the last great champion of the old right and, in many ways, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas is his successor. While Taft was not always consistent in his views, he generally favored a policy of free markets at home and skepticism toward foreign crusades and entanglements.
Taft would probably be dismissed as a starry-eyed peacenik, and as a member of the"hate America crowd," by many conservatives today for statements such as this one made in October 1946:
"Our whole attitude in the world, for a year after V.E. Day, including the use of the Atomic Bomb at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, seems to me a departure from the principles of fair and equal treatment which has made America respected throught the world before this second World War. Today, we are cordially hated in many countries." (quoted in Ronald Radosh, Prophets on the Right: Profiles of Conservative Critics of American Globalism).
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges