Elizabeth Pollard-Grayson: Review of Mark D. Brewer's Relevant No More? (Lexington Books, 2003)
Excerpted from H-Net Reviews and H-AmRel.
Mark D. Brewer’s book Relevant No More? Focuses on …how Catholics have responded at the polls in the latter half of the twentieth century. Brewer builds his book on the premise that Catholics remain far more likely to vote Democratic than Protestant despite the assertions of political analysts that Catholics have left the Democratic party in droves….0verall, Brewer’s book accomplishes its task of demonstrating that Catholics are more Democratic than Protestants as a whole. His explanation of the Catholic worldview offers a plausible explanation for this continuing pattern despite conundrums such as the Democratic party’s support of abortion rights in opposition to the Catholic Church’s condemnation. Brewer leaves his readers with a call for future studies to find a better way to examine religious worldviews and their impact upon modern electoral behavior.
Click here for the full review:
comments powered by Disqus
- Unilateral U.S. nuclear pullback in 1991 matched by rapid Soviet cuts
- More Historians Come Out for Trump
- History lesson horrifies parent: Blacks used to have ‘strong work ethic’ during slavery
- Philippines President Compares Himself To Hitler in Anti-Crime Rant
- U.S. Extradites Baltimore Professor to Rwanda to Stand Trial for Genocide