Ah yes, noble
sport triumphed over nasty politics as it always does. Adolf Hitler's
supposed humiliation at the hands (and feet) of Jesse Owens is one of the great
myths of the modern age. Funny, the IOC
summary doesn't mention which country won the 1936 Summer Olympics. I wonder
why. Here is the medal
count (top 10 countries only):
COUNTRY GOLD SILVER BRONZE
Germany 33 26 30
USA 24 20 12
Hungary 10 1 5
Italy 8 9 5
Finland 7 6 6
France 7 6 6
Sweden 6 5 6
Japan 6 4 8
Netherlands 6 4 7
Great Britain 4 7 3
Implicit in the IOC's analysis is the disgusting fascist belief that sporting
success proves national superiority. In 1932 in Los Angeles, pre-Adolf, pre-"Aryan"
Germany finished a miserable 9th. In 1936, Germany won, easily, despite Jesse
Owens. The Berlin Olympiad was used to prove Hitler's theories of Aryan racial
superiority, most notably in Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia.
"Hitler, we who covered the Games had to concede, turned the Olympics
into a dazzling propaganda success for his barbarian regime."
The fascist conflation of sporting triumph and national superiority lives on: in England, whose football hooligans long for a Führer-and in Canada, where our 1972 hockey triumph over the Soviet Union has become the most celebrated national myth of all. How well I remember the shame I felt reading innumerable letters to the editor declaring that Canada's victory in Moscow proved the superiority of our way of life to theirs. And if the Soviets had won instead? What fools. What rubbish.
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 8/23/2004
For some reason, that link doesn't properly direct to the archived blog post, but that is the correct archive URL. I have no idea what the deal is.
Aeon J. Skoble - 8/23/2004
Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but that list of olympic-relevant posts should have included mine: http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/6790.html. I'm just sayin'.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- DNA Offers Insights into European Hunter Gatherers
- Bernie Sanders Made Jewish History, Yet No One Seems To Be Kvelling
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948
- 'Comfort women' and a lesson in how history is shaped in California textbooks
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth