Ah yes, noble
sport triumphed over nasty politics as it always does. Adolf Hitler's
supposed humiliation at the hands (and feet) of Jesse Owens is one of the great
myths of the modern age. Funny, the IOC
summary doesn't mention which country won the 1936 Summer Olympics. I wonder
why. Here is the medal
count (top 10 countries only):
COUNTRY GOLD SILVER BRONZE
Germany 33 26 30
USA 24 20 12
Hungary 10 1 5
Italy 8 9 5
Finland 7 6 6
France 7 6 6
Sweden 6 5 6
Japan 6 4 8
Netherlands 6 4 7
Great Britain 4 7 3
Implicit in the IOC's analysis is the disgusting fascist belief that sporting
success proves national superiority. In 1932 in Los Angeles, pre-Adolf, pre-"Aryan"
Germany finished a miserable 9th. In 1936, Germany won, easily, despite Jesse
Owens. The Berlin Olympiad was used to prove Hitler's theories of Aryan racial
superiority, most notably in Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia.
"Hitler, we who covered the Games had to concede, turned the Olympics
into a dazzling propaganda success for his barbarian regime."
The fascist conflation of sporting triumph and national superiority lives on: in England, whose football hooligans long for a Führer-and in Canada, where our 1972 hockey triumph over the Soviet Union has become the most celebrated national myth of all. How well I remember the shame I felt reading innumerable letters to the editor declaring that Canada's victory in Moscow proved the superiority of our way of life to theirs. And if the Soviets had won instead? What fools. What rubbish.
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 8/23/2004
For some reason, that link doesn't properly direct to the archived blog post, but that is the correct archive URL. I have no idea what the deal is.
Aeon J. Skoble - 8/23/2004
Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but that list of olympic-relevant posts should have included mine: http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/6790.html. I'm just sayin'.
- Harvard acquires Thoreau's notes on the death of Margaret Fuller
- It’s a national historic site, but hardly anybody visits the Idaho internment camp where thousands of Japanese Americans were incarcerated in WW II
- Big-time Hollywood director makes a movie about Stonewall
- HMS Victory: The mystery of Britain's worst naval disaster is finally solved - 271 years later
- A salute lost to history
- High school senior credited with debunking book by Professor Richard Jensen
- Historians at loggerheads over the AP standards
- Bettany Hughes interview: The historian on how Socrates would have solved Greece's problems
- U.K. Released Hundreds of Nazis After the Holocaust, Says Leading Historian
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?