Throwing a "crappy little country" against a wall
"every now and again the United States has to pick up a crappy little country and throw it against a wall just to prove we are serious."
I have received several emails questioning the validity of the" crappy little country" quotation. The link (shown above) discusses this controversy.
The original source for the quotation appears to be this article by Jonah Goldberg. Subsequently, a revised article in 2003 by William O. Beeman indicated that that the quotation was not genuine. In 2004, however, Simon Mars states that Ledeen admitted to him that he said it but also stated that his words needed to be put in context. I have written to Professor Beeman to find out why he made the original revision in 2003...despite Mars' statement that Ledeen later admitted that the quotation was accurate.
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 8/14/2004
That's Ledeen has admitted
David T. Beito - 8/14/2004
According to Simon Mars (link shown at the site I linked to), has admitted that he said it (the original source is Jonah Goldberg):
There is some difference of opinion here and I will change the blog to reflect this. I will also try to get more information.
Steven Horwitz - 8/13/2004
Dave - if you follow your link to the original story here: http://www.alternet.org/story/15860 you'll notice that the quote attributed to Ledeen has been removed, presumably because it was inaccurate, if not invented. There's plenty to complain about with Neo-cons of course, but this is precisely why I am so hesitant to get involved with the hard left elements of the anti-war movement. They seem to be too often truth-challenged (Mini-Moores?) for my taste, which makes no sense given that the truth is awful enough.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges