It's a New York Thing
With all this talk about alerts, there's one thing that remains a perennial New York (okay, andNew Jersey) thing: traffic. Oh, I know, LA has its insane freeway traffic. But the other day, Denis Hamill in the New York Daily News had me roaring with laughter. Here's an excerpt from his piece,"The Easy Way Out is Closed for Summer":
The torture rides home on the Garden State and Southern State parkways were so long, I think the CIA should consider them as ways of making Al Qaeda suspects talk. Handcuff a terrorist suspect in the backseat of a Toyota next to a 3-year-old in a kid's seat on the glacial creep home from the Jersey Shore with the windows open to the stink of the Garden State's cancer alley and the clam-broth humidity of August, and he will tell you where to find Abu Musab Zarqawi - in king's English - before you reach the Outerbridge Crossing. Make him sit for 109 minutes on the Staten Island Expressway as the 3-year-old insists on playing"I spy with my little eye" while listening to an endless taped loop of Thomas the Tank Engine songs, and he'll give up Osama Bin Laden - and his prospective kidney donor - before you get to the Verrazano. Until I can afford a seaplane, with a pilot who knows how to take off and land, I'm staying put.
Read the rest of Hamill's essay, here.
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"