Windmills 'n Oilwells ...
I shall impersonate ... a man.Kirk at American Amnesia has selections from Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra's novel and guess who plays in the starring role!
Come, enter into my imagination, and see him:
Boney, hollow faced, eyes that burn with the fire of inner vision.
He conceives the strangest project ever imagined ...
To become a knight errant
And sally forth into the world, righting all wrongs!
Hear me now, oh thou bleak and unbearable world
Thou art base and debauched as can be!
And a knight with his valors all bravely unfurled
Now hurls down his gauntlet to thee!
I am I, Don Quixote,
The Lord of LaMancha,
My destiny calls, and I go!
And the wild winds of fortune
Shall carry me onward ... To wither so ever they blow ...
Wither so ever they blow ...
Onward to glory I go!
Hear me heathens, and wizards, and servants of sin:
All your dastardly doings are past!
For a holy endeavor is now to begin
And virtue shall triumph at last!
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 8/4/2004
...who knows where madness lies?" he asked.
Quixote was charming because he was powerless, or nearly so, and he attacked those he could not harm or those who deserved it (though not always for the reasons he thought) and rarely harmed anyone who was innocent or irrelevant. Nobody elected him to anything, and he commanded only his mount and his squire, and those only when they were of a mind to listen.
- Letters collection offers unique glimpse into ordeal of Australian aborigines
- War, More Than ISIS, Is Destroying Syria's Ancient Sites
- Pew Poll: Trust in government is at historic lows
- If "The Donald" Said It Happened, It Happened! And Don't You Forget It!
- Solved: the mystery of Britain’s Bronze Age mummies
- Anne Frank Faced Challenges Similar to Syrian Refugees, Richard Breitman Says
- Douglass North, Nobel Prize-winning economics historian, dies at 95
- William & Mary launching a gay history project