Too Close for Comfort
Pressed by advisers, Roosevelt decided to go on the offensive to dispose of this point against him. In a speech in Pittsburgh on October 1, 1936, he explained:
The only way to keep the Government out of the red is to keep the people out of the red. And so we had to balance the budget of the American people before we could balance the budget of the national Government.
A few days ago, while introducing the Obama administration’s budget for fiscal year 2010, President Barack Obama said:
While we must add to our deficits in the short term to provide immediate relief to families and get our economy moving, it is only by restoring fiscal discipline that we can produce sustained growth and shared prosperity.
Many people have been calling for a new New Deal. The Obamistas seem to have heard their plea.
comments powered by Disqus
Thomas Jackson - 3/3/2009
In my youth I recall the Popeye cartoons in which there was a moocher named Whimpey. He always sought to borrow with the "promise" to repay in the future.
Obama's promise is to give you something for which he will repay sometime in the future. This reckless and irresponsible approach can only be deemed as a long planned and calculated approach to destroy the economy.
His assault on the Constitution coupled with his brazen foreign policy initiatives will endear him to Jimmy Carter. I am sure Jimmy will gleefully relinquish the label as worst president in American history to our Kenyan pretender.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges