Too Close for Comfort
Pressed by advisers, Roosevelt decided to go on the offensive to dispose of this point against him. In a speech in Pittsburgh on October 1, 1936, he explained:
The only way to keep the Government out of the red is to keep the people out of the red. And so we had to balance the budget of the American people before we could balance the budget of the national Government.
A few days ago, while introducing the Obama administration’s budget for fiscal year 2010, President Barack Obama said:
While we must add to our deficits in the short term to provide immediate relief to families and get our economy moving, it is only by restoring fiscal discipline that we can produce sustained growth and shared prosperity.
Many people have been calling for a new New Deal. The Obamistas seem to have heard their plea.
comments powered by Disqus
Thomas Jackson - 3/3/2009
In my youth I recall the Popeye cartoons in which there was a moocher named Whimpey. He always sought to borrow with the "promise" to repay in the future.
Obama's promise is to give you something for which he will repay sometime in the future. This reckless and irresponsible approach can only be deemed as a long planned and calculated approach to destroy the economy.
His assault on the Constitution coupled with his brazen foreign policy initiatives will endear him to Jimmy Carter. I am sure Jimmy will gleefully relinquish the label as worst president in American history to our Kenyan pretender.
- New museum in Poland -- the grandest space created since 1989 -- tells the story of the Jews
- Lewinsky mistreated by authorities in investigation of Clinton, report says
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- How Laurel Thatcher Ulrich caught up with the past
- Postal Workers Take on Harvard President, historian Drew Faust
- Symposium held in honor of John D’Emilio
- Thousands of Historic Archives from British Asylums to Go Online
- American Studies Association boycott of Israel: Conservatives say it’s weakening