A Presidential Favorite
Ford’s approach to inflation was WIN (“Whip Inflation Now”) buttons, which were silly, perhaps, but much better than the wage-and-price controls of his predecessor. I am told that he vetoed more bills than any other president since Dwight D. Eisenhower--many of them big spending bills pushed by the Democratic majority in Congress. And although he was a congressman for 25 years, he never wrote a major bill.
Ford pardoned Nixon, which lost him re-election but ended what could have been a long, bitter, and divisive perpetuation of the “hate-Nixon” mood. When Ford died, even Ted Kennedy and the New York Times agreed that his pardon was the right decision.
I was always sorry that he hadn’t coupled the pardon with amnesty for Vietnam objectors. It would have helped to ease the pain caused by the previous decade and it might have won him re-election.
comments powered by Disqus
Jane S. Shaw - 2/18/2009
I hadn't thought of that -- but how? Nixon was already disgraced. How did the pardon change that?
tfr - 2/17/2009
I don't know... I'm of the opinion that Nixon's pardon was a big step towards today's imperial Presidency.
William Marina - 2/17/2009
Just shows what playing football without a helmet can do for your future.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity