Noted Here and There ...
Would you rather call John Kerry a liar or explain why what he said is not true? Andrew Sullivan would rather just call him a liar. Kerry said: "We've got more African Americans in jail than we do in college. That's unacceptable." Kerry's statement is correct for African American men, but becomes incorrect without the gender distinction. The numbers are remarkable. In 2002, 818,900 African American men were in prison and only 802,000 were in college. In the same year, 65,600 African American women were in prison and 1,476,000 were in college. There are far more important things to say about those numbers than that"John Kerry is a liar."
comments powered by Disqus
Richard Henry Morgan - 7/13/2004
Seems merely a verbal gaffe -- one should follow the methodological rule that one doesn't posit mendacity when a screw-up will suffice. It's not like Kerry has a long history of lying in the mode of Johnson, Nixon, or Clinton. I wonder why Sullivan chose to see this as a lie, when he says he's voting for Kerry?
Derek Charles Catsam - 7/13/2004
And yet, oddly, I am not surprised that Sullivan essentially accuses Kerry of being a liar even as he, as you point out, shows some dubious integrity himself.
Danny Loss - 7/13/2004
Hey, don't blame me. I hit "Post" on Blogger and suddenly everything goes haywire. I'll try to figure it out tonight.
David T. Beito - 7/13/2004
Sriking! Good catch.
- The six-day war: why Israel is still divided over its legacy 50 years on
- "Space archaeology" transforms how ancient sites are discovered
- A military cemetery whose African American history is hidden in plain sight in Philadelphia
- Texas Senate increases education board's textbook veto power
- The Secret Transcripts of the Six-Day War
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?
- What's the 'greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history’?