Noted Here and There ...
Would you rather call John Kerry a liar or explain why what he said is not true? Andrew Sullivan would rather just call him a liar. Kerry said: "We've got more African Americans in jail than we do in college. That's unacceptable." Kerry's statement is correct for African American men, but becomes incorrect without the gender distinction. The numbers are remarkable. In 2002, 818,900 African American men were in prison and only 802,000 were in college. In the same year, 65,600 African American women were in prison and 1,476,000 were in college. There are far more important things to say about those numbers than that"John Kerry is a liar."
comments powered by Disqus
Richard Henry Morgan - 7/13/2004
Seems merely a verbal gaffe -- one should follow the methodological rule that one doesn't posit mendacity when a screw-up will suffice. It's not like Kerry has a long history of lying in the mode of Johnson, Nixon, or Clinton. I wonder why Sullivan chose to see this as a lie, when he says he's voting for Kerry?
Derek Charles Catsam - 7/13/2004
And yet, oddly, I am not surprised that Sullivan essentially accuses Kerry of being a liar even as he, as you point out, shows some dubious integrity himself.
Danny Loss - 7/13/2004
Hey, don't blame me. I hit "Post" on Blogger and suddenly everything goes haywire. I'll try to figure it out tonight.
David T. Beito - 7/13/2004
Sriking! Good catch.
- The ‘nation’s report card’ says it assesses critical thinking in history
- A ‘Quest for Justice’ for Murdered Civil Rights Pioneer, 52 Years Later
- Under Trump, Most Americans Lack Basic Knowledge to Understand Current Events, Study Finds
- Trump wants a military parade down Pennsylvania Avenue on July 4th
- What Happens When an Entire Campus Is Rooted in the Confederacy?
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond
- He’s 75 now. When he started teaching at the University of New Orleans students walked out on his class.
- ‘Fake news’ from 1738 offers lessons for modern historians, says Missouri scholar
- Peter Dreier calls on Americans to build monuments to liberal heroes