Noted Here and There ...
Would you rather call John Kerry a liar or explain why what he said is not true? Andrew Sullivan would rather just call him a liar. Kerry said: "We've got more African Americans in jail than we do in college. That's unacceptable." Kerry's statement is correct for African American men, but becomes incorrect without the gender distinction. The numbers are remarkable. In 2002, 818,900 African American men were in prison and only 802,000 were in college. In the same year, 65,600 African American women were in prison and 1,476,000 were in college. There are far more important things to say about those numbers than that"John Kerry is a liar."
comments powered by Disqus
Richard Henry Morgan - 7/13/2004
Seems merely a verbal gaffe -- one should follow the methodological rule that one doesn't posit mendacity when a screw-up will suffice. It's not like Kerry has a long history of lying in the mode of Johnson, Nixon, or Clinton. I wonder why Sullivan chose to see this as a lie, when he says he's voting for Kerry?
Derek Charles Catsam - 7/13/2004
And yet, oddly, I am not surprised that Sullivan essentially accuses Kerry of being a liar even as he, as you point out, shows some dubious integrity himself.
Danny Loss - 7/13/2004
Hey, don't blame me. I hit "Post" on Blogger and suddenly everything goes haywire. I'll try to figure it out tonight.
David T. Beito - 7/13/2004
Sriking! Good catch.
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Thousands Of FBI Documents About Civil Rights Era Destroyed By Flooding
- Ancient Egyptian Woman with 70 Hair Extensions Discovered
- Europeans drawn from three ancient 'tribes'
- Conservatives press the case against the new AP framework for US history
- Who wrote the new AP US History framework? Now we know.
- Pro-Israel groups going after federal support of Middle East Studies
- 100th Anniversary of Beard's 'An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution' commemorated
- University of Illinois Bigwig to Native American Studies scholar Jean O’Brien: Drop Dead