Noted Here and There ...
Would you rather call John Kerry a liar or explain why what he said is not true? Andrew Sullivan would rather just call him a liar. Kerry said: "We've got more African Americans in jail than we do in college. That's unacceptable." Kerry's statement is correct for African American men, but becomes incorrect without the gender distinction. The numbers are remarkable. In 2002, 818,900 African American men were in prison and only 802,000 were in college. In the same year, 65,600 African American women were in prison and 1,476,000 were in college. There are far more important things to say about those numbers than that"John Kerry is a liar."
comments powered by Disqus
Richard Henry Morgan - 7/13/2004
Seems merely a verbal gaffe -- one should follow the methodological rule that one doesn't posit mendacity when a screw-up will suffice. It's not like Kerry has a long history of lying in the mode of Johnson, Nixon, or Clinton. I wonder why Sullivan chose to see this as a lie, when he says he's voting for Kerry?
Derek Charles Catsam - 7/13/2004
And yet, oddly, I am not surprised that Sullivan essentially accuses Kerry of being a liar even as he, as you point out, shows some dubious integrity himself.
Danny Loss - 7/13/2004
Hey, don't blame me. I hit "Post" on Blogger and suddenly everything goes haywire. I'll try to figure it out tonight.
David T. Beito - 7/13/2004
Sriking! Good catch.
- Watch Robert Kennedy Push Gun Control In Same Town As Recent Mass Shooting
- October is LGBT History Month
- Textbook publisher apologizes for passage referring to slavery as immigration
- ISIS Destroys Triumphal Arches in Palmyra, Syria
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Intellectual historians to gather in October
- Yuri N. Afanasyev, Historian Who Repudiated Communism, Dies at 81