comments powered by Disqus
Jeffrey Rogers Hummel - 2/9/2009
I've changed the url in the original post so it now works again.
Ross Levatter - 2/9/2009
My thanks to Jeff for his kind comment and outrageous plug. Aeon's comments were also thoughtful.
Please note that after this posting occurred I modified my blog site such that the link here no longer works. My apologies to anyone inconvenienced. Try: http://web.me.com/rlevatter. Note: NO "www".
Aeon J. Skoble - 2/7/2009
I agree that a miniseries would be better. In some ways, of course, it doesn't matter, because it's arguably unfilmable, in the sense that part of what makes it so great is the way it uses the comic book form to talk about comics. But given the loss of whatever it is that's lost in translation, it's at least possible to do a decent job of it; making a film that is a good film. Based on what I've read, Snyder is aware of this and knows he's in a different medium. That doesn't mean it won't suck, maybe it will. But OTOH I have really liked the clips and viral ads I've seen on line. So maybe, just maybe, it'll be ok. We'll find out in a month I guess. In any case, I do hope everyone reads the book prior to March 6, then my essay, then Ross's book.
Jesse Walker - 2/6/2009
I'm not sure any movie adaptation of Watchmen could succeed. I suspect the novel is too long and complex to work as anything less than a miniseries.
I'm especially dubious that Zack Snyder, director of the execrable 300, will be able to pull it off.
Aeon J. Skoble - 2/6/2009
I should add that I have read a lot of Ross's writings on Watchmen and recommend it highly.
Must...resist...urge...to self-promote...Oh, it's no use. I have also written on this, an essay appearing in this volume: http://www.amazon.com/Superheroes-Philosophy-Justice-Socratic-Popular/dp/0812695739/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233931537&sr=1-1
Aeon J. Skoble - 2/6/2009
I'm hoping, perhaps naively, that the movie will be good. In any event, though, I strongly urge interested parties to read the book first. You still have another month! I'll make it easy for you: http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Alan-Moore/dp/0930289234/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233931443&sr=8-2
- Holocaust Victims Mocked in Ohio State Band Parody Songbook
- Memphis attempt to drop name of Nathan Bedford Forrest runs into state law
- Overlooked: The 25th anniversary of Captive Nations Week
- In confession to historian, George McGovern revealed he had a secret child
- Revised AP U.S. History Standards Will Emphasize American Exceptionalism
- U.K. Released Hundreds of Nazis After the Holocaust, Says Leading Historian
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial