comments powered by Disqus
Jeffrey Rogers Hummel - 2/9/2009
I've changed the url in the original post so it now works again.
Ross Levatter - 2/9/2009
My thanks to Jeff for his kind comment and outrageous plug. Aeon's comments were also thoughtful.
Please note that after this posting occurred I modified my blog site such that the link here no longer works. My apologies to anyone inconvenienced. Try: http://web.me.com/rlevatter. Note: NO "www".
Aeon J. Skoble - 2/7/2009
I agree that a miniseries would be better. In some ways, of course, it doesn't matter, because it's arguably unfilmable, in the sense that part of what makes it so great is the way it uses the comic book form to talk about comics. But given the loss of whatever it is that's lost in translation, it's at least possible to do a decent job of it; making a film that is a good film. Based on what I've read, Snyder is aware of this and knows he's in a different medium. That doesn't mean it won't suck, maybe it will. But OTOH I have really liked the clips and viral ads I've seen on line. So maybe, just maybe, it'll be ok. We'll find out in a month I guess. In any case, I do hope everyone reads the book prior to March 6, then my essay, then Ross's book.
Jesse Walker - 2/6/2009
I'm not sure any movie adaptation of Watchmen could succeed. I suspect the novel is too long and complex to work as anything less than a miniseries.
I'm especially dubious that Zack Snyder, director of the execrable 300, will be able to pull it off.
Aeon J. Skoble - 2/6/2009
I should add that I have read a lot of Ross's writings on Watchmen and recommend it highly.
Must...resist...urge...to self-promote...Oh, it's no use. I have also written on this, an essay appearing in this volume: http://www.amazon.com/Superheroes-Philosophy-Justice-Socratic-Popular/dp/0812695739/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233931537&sr=1-1
Aeon J. Skoble - 2/6/2009
I'm hoping, perhaps naively, that the movie will be good. In any event, though, I strongly urge interested parties to read the book first. You still have another month! I'll make it easy for you: http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Alan-Moore/dp/0930289234/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233931443&sr=8-2
- Kissinger Memo from 1972: Make the North Vietnamese think Nixon and I are crazy
- How Much U.S. History Do Americans Actually Know? Less Than You Think.
- Ice cream cone named after Adolf Hitler on sale in India sparks anger in Germany
- Isis Palmyra demolition has begun with ancient God Lion statue destroyed
- NYT hosts debate including Eric Foner: How Americans should remember Reconstruction
- William Leuchtenburg says historians and the media have been too hard on Obama
- Hugh Ambrose, historian who helped develop WWII Museum, dead at 48
- Historian discounts claim that Churchill and other British PM's were gay
- Nick Bunker Wins $50,000 2015 George Washington Book Prize