Bobble-Head Journalism in Alabama
Cruz achieved the epithet"bobble-head" earlier this year when he devoted a front-page article to covering the making and marketing of a bobble-head doll in the shape of long-dead Alabama football coach Bear Bryant.
Cruz's reporting about campus affairs at the University of Alabama generally followed the same style and form, maintaining a rigorous avoidance of investigation or analysis.
The Alabama Scholars Association, an affiliate of the National Association of Scholars, created a special section on its website devoted to the"bobble-head" journalism of Gilbert Cruz. (See www.alabamascholars.org) We are pleased that after only a couple of months of relentless lampooning, Mr. Cruz decided it would be in his best interests to leave.
We understand he will now be employed in the entertainment industry, in a job much better suited to his talents as a soft-ball writer of fluff and flummery.
Bottom line: If you are dissatisfied with the reporting in your local newspaper, start a website and lampoon the heck of it.
comments powered by Disqus
- Colorado Students Strip Naked in Protest of ‘Censorship’ of AP History Classes
- They should give this definition of History to all first year undergrads on their first day
- Field Report: What I learned by attending a workshop on Korean history
- Historians suggest ways California can integrate gay history into the school curriculum
- Now it’s Andrew Bacevich’s turn to do a MOOC