Cosby Turns it Up Another Notch
A speech on the anniversary of the Civil Rights Act shows that he is not only standing firm but turning it up a notch or two. If Thomas Sowell, Clarence Thomas, or Walter Williams had said these things, they would be pilloried as Uncle Toms. Cosby, however, is so powerful and respected by the black leadership mainstream that even Jesse Jackson feels compelled (no doubt biting his tongue in the process) to mouth bland words of support.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Rick - 7/5/2004
I'm an editorial intern for Time magazine this summer, and one of my responsibilities last week was writing Verbatim (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101040712-660955,00.html), a compilation of the week's quotes. You'll be happy to know that my editor suggested the Cosby quote, which we included, in addition to, at my choosing, the quote from Hillary about "tak[ing] things away from you on behalf of the common good."
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)