Cosby Turns it Up Another Notch
A speech on the anniversary of the Civil Rights Act shows that he is not only standing firm but turning it up a notch or two. If Thomas Sowell, Clarence Thomas, or Walter Williams had said these things, they would be pilloried as Uncle Toms. Cosby, however, is so powerful and respected by the black leadership mainstream that even Jesse Jackson feels compelled (no doubt biting his tongue in the process) to mouth bland words of support.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Rick - 7/5/2004
I'm an editorial intern for Time magazine this summer, and one of my responsibilities last week was writing Verbatim (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101040712-660955,00.html), a compilation of the week's quotes. You'll be happy to know that my editor suggested the Cosby quote, which we included, in addition to, at my choosing, the quote from Hillary about "tak[ing] things away from you on behalf of the common good."
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- Korean Survivors of Atomic Bombs Renew Fight for Recognition, and Apology
- African American museum’s fundraising touches deep history among donors
- Allan Lichtman testifies in federal case that Wisconsin’s voting laws are disriminatory
- Yuval Noah Harari turns to fiction
- Timothy Garton Ash Puts Forth a Free-Speech Manifesto
- Iowa historian makes independent bid for US Senate
- British feminist historian declines $330,000 Israeli prize after BDS activists talk to her