Does anybody remember civil liberties?
Therefore the Supreme Court's decisions in three cases last week concerning the legal rights of those detained during the war on terror seem important enough to applaud. I am not a lawyer, and try to avoid straying into legal issues, so I've hesitated about blogging about them. But leave it to Nick Gillespie at Reason Magazine to express my views more thoughtfully and humorously than I can. In sum it looks like the legal blogs on our side are in agreement that the Court got it right last week. If that's even a small roadblock for the big government conservatives in the Justice Department, then I say let's have a drink for the Court.
comments powered by Disqus
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan
- So Historians Are Surprised by What DNA Can Tell Us?