That October Feeling ... in July
It's not often that we get to call a single baseball game a" classic" in early July. But if it were possible to use that word, it would be the perfect description for last night's thriller between age-old rivals, the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox. The Yanks beat the Sox in the bottom of the 13th inning, 5-4, but not before several remarkable hits and even more remarkable defensive plays, including one in which Yankee captain Derek Jeter saved the game, making a miraculous catch on the left-field line that sent him head-first into the stands. Bloodied and dazed, Jeter walked off the field, but is scheduled to resume play tonight to face the New York Mets in the second weekend of subway series fun.
You can always count on the Yanks and Sox to provide you with intense, stomach-churning baseball moments. Last night was something special.
Check out"Not a Blog."
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 7/5/2004
Pathetic (from a Yankees persepctive, anyway)
Chris Matthew Sciabarra - 7/5/2004
Hey Pat L, I think you and I share more than our love of baseball this morning. The Mets swept my Yankees, and the Cubs swept your White Sox. "Wha happened?" (he said, bruised and battered...)
Chris Matthew Sciabarra - 7/2/2004
Hey, Pat... you're right, that should be a great series. You know, I find it amazing how everyone is always talking about how the Cubs haven't won since 1908. But the White Sox haven't won since 1917 (and let's not even talk about the 1919 Black Sox scandal). Clearly, you Chicagoans are long overdue in the American League ~and~ the National League!
And I wish they'd allow for more inter-divisional play: The Yanks playing the Eastern division 19 times a year, while seeing the White Sox and other Central and Western clubs only a few times is a bit ridiculous....
Pat Lynch - 7/2/2004
As much as I agree that those three games were played at a very high level, how about the mayhem of the Sox Cubs series part II in Wrigley? As a die hard White Sox fan I'm hoping they continue their domination of the Cubs from last weekend......
- Tales of African-American History Found in DNA
- History Celebrates New Show Roots With Project to Digitize Post-Slavery Documents
- In 1453, this Ottoman sultan ended Christian rule in Constantinople. But was he a good Muslim?
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize