Michael Dirda reviews Duncan Wu's William Hazlitt: The First Modern Man for the Washington Post, 11 January.
Louis Boyard,"Sociable Darwinists," Washington Post, 11 January, reviews Barry Werth's Banquet at Delmonico's: Great Minds, the Gilded Age, and the Triumph of Evolution in America.
Jack Rosenthal,"The Mogul at Play," NYT, 9 January, reviews Kenneth Whyte's The Uncrowned King: The Sensational Rise of William Randolph Hearst.
David Garrow,"True North," Wilson Quarterly, Winter, reviews Thomas Sugrue's Sweet Land of Liberty: The Forgotten Struggle for Civil Rights in the North.
Mark Falcoff,"Collaborative Artists: The French cultural establishment's inglorious response to Nazi rule," WSJ, 3 January, reviews Frederic Spotts's The Shameful Peace.
Diana Preston,"To the Ramparts!" Washington Post, 11 January, reviews Michael Korda's With Wings Like Eagles: A History of the Battle of Britain.
James Campbell,"Howls," NYT, 9 January, reviews Bill Morgan, ed., The Letters of Allen Ginsberg and Morgan, ed., The Selected Letters of Allen Ginsberg and Gary Snyder.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity