L'etat c'est moi
That’s what happens when you don’t have robust property rights.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Rick - 7/5/2004
An op-ed (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/02/opinion/02MONT.html) in last week's NY Times also draws on Louis XIV's maxim, "L'état, c'est moi," vis-a-vis Saddam:
"As was evident at an Iraqi judicial hearing in Baghdad yesterday, Mr. Hussein will continue to exploit the drama of his special prestige to say, effectively, American puppets may come and go, but, as Louis XIV put it, ''état, c'est moi.'"
- A grandmother’s trove of Civil War photos goes to Library of Congress
- Tribes See Name on Oregon Maps as Being Out of Bounds
- Holy Haystacks! Researchers Have Officially Discovered A New Monet
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- OAH denounces anti-gay legislation signed by Indiana governor
- U.S. historian denounces Japanese scholars' statement over wartime sexual slavery
- Timothy V Johnson Named Head of Tamiment Library