L'etat c'est moi
That’s what happens when you don’t have robust property rights.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Rick - 7/5/2004
An op-ed (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/02/opinion/02MONT.html) in last week's NY Times also draws on Louis XIV's maxim, "L'état, c'est moi," vis-a-vis Saddam:
"As was evident at an Iraqi judicial hearing in Baghdad yesterday, Mr. Hussein will continue to exploit the drama of his special prestige to say, effectively, American puppets may come and go, but, as Louis XIV put it, ''état, c'est moi.'"
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland
- NYT praises James McPherson for finding a way to remain objective about Jeff Davis
- Historian says the removal of Nazi-era art to Switzerland makes restitution unlikely
- Martin Kramer blasts MESA and Steven Salaita