ISRAELI SONG RESPONDS TO TERRORISM
During my recent visit to Israel, I discovered this popular song. I am translating it (albeit poorly) because I love the honesty with which it acknowledges the pain caused by terror and the resoluteness with which it rejects victimhood.
In the fall a tree stand alone in the wind
Without any warmth or shade
At times it yearns to feel safe
Instead of a wilting flower
Once in a while time tests us
Places obstacles at our feet
But we have our strengths
We will show him that we can
To see the pain, to look it straight in the eye
To hold on tight to life, not to give in
To believe completely that it will be good again
And that despite everything we will overcome
God sees all, makes sure from above
That we will not lose hope
And even if it hurts at times, we need to go on
Never mind, everything will turn out right
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history