ISRAELI SONG RESPONDS TO TERRORISM
During my recent visit to Israel, I discovered this popular song. I am translating it (albeit poorly) because I love the honesty with which it acknowledges the pain caused by terror and the resoluteness with which it rejects victimhood.
In the fall a tree stand alone in the wind
Without any warmth or shade
At times it yearns to feel safe
Instead of a wilting flower
Once in a while time tests us
Places obstacles at our feet
But we have our strengths
We will show him that we can
To see the pain, to look it straight in the eye
To hold on tight to life, not to give in
To believe completely that it will be good again
And that despite everything we will overcome
God sees all, makes sure from above
That we will not lose hope
And even if it hurts at times, we need to go on
Never mind, everything will turn out right
comments powered by Disqus
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”