Nader goes bust?
For more commentary, please see McBlog.
comments powered by Disqus
David Gross - 6/24/2004
I don't follow the logic here. Nader hurts Democrat aspirations for the White House, no doubt, so it's no surprise at all that the Congressional Black Caucus wants Nader to go away. Ditto for any number of people who've decided to hitch their wagon to the Democrat horse this time around, which includes many people who otherwise would be Nader's philosophical partners. None of this is news.
The Camejo choice is Nader's way of making nice with the Green party in the hopes of being able to use that party's ballot access and reach out to Green voters. That's probably smarter politics than the gender-balancing act you seem to be advocating.
Nader's big advantage in this race is that he opposes U.S. imperial belligerence, which many people - liberal, libertarian, conservative, leftist - think is problem #1. Neither major party candidate is taking this stand - Kerry doesn't stand any further in opposition than to say he'd do what Bush is doing, only he'd do it better and with more troops. (And, Libertarian Party loyalists listen up: you're dropping the ball on this one, too.)
(Note: I'm not a Nader supporter myself, so don't ask me to defend his positions on X, Y and Z - I'm just surprised that anyone's concluding he's a non-player.)
- Ben Carson defends linking gun control to the Holocaust
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich