But other stories don’t get the headlines they deserve.
Last week, the Senate Armed Services Committee issued providing new confirmation of the United State’s use of torture and links that to the highest levels of the outgoing administration. Big news? Hardly. As Glenn Greenwald at Salon points out the major TV outlets have largely ignored it. It’s old stuff about an outgoing administration, and no one in it—or, apparently, in the incoming one either—seems to want much to do with it. As for the media, It’s not a bomb threat; it’s not money; it’s not even corruption under a bad toupee. It’s something that the majority of Americans, and the majority of their leaders, wish to ignore. The silence of the media enables that desire.
Such silence isn’t limited to Americans. This utterly painful story of a North Korean’s escape from a prison camp ought to have a spotlight on it. A really bright spotlight, as it makes clear that North Korean prison camps far exceed even the post-Stalin Gulags in their cruelty.
The escapee, Shin Dong-hyuk, has written a book, Escape to the Outside World. It’s only sold 500 copies in South Korea. (There is no English version.) The article does not say how much the Korean media have (or have not) discussed it. The clear implication is “not much.”
Perhaps his book does not have the genius of a Gulag Archipelago. Perhaps some people don’t believe him; escapees from these camps are few and far between. But mostly, like the stories about the American use of torture here, it’s just not what South Koreans are interested in right now. Silence enables them to ignore the pain just north of their border and focus on what they believe really matters.
comments powered by Disqus
mary lili jory - 8/17/2009
I like very much the writings and pictures and explanations in your adress so I look forward to see your next writings.
In the present lively world, food and clothing put on the line in our life have already to obtain the sublimation, life needs the entertainment, in the market shoe's design is all kinds, Women is Dakota and Sundance UGG Boots were the riotous multi-colors, each kinds of color and design are finitely looks like the young women's hairstyle , every day them use the ghd Hair Straightener to changes themself hairstyle,when went out they brought MP3 to wear the fashion to symbolize that Bose in ear headphones and Bose on ear headphones ,let us feel the fashionable news of life.
People to enjoy music, a need for a high-quality sound equipment to show the moving melody to enhance the music quality of life,It is the use of bose headphones.Now bose headphones for sale in hot.
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- East Germany's secrets are slowly being revealed
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich
- Niall Ferguson leaving Harvard for Stanford