AFI's 100 All-Time Movie Songs
The American Film Institute's tribute to the top 100 movie songs of all time was an entertaining special, televised last night on the CBS network. One could quibble with the inclusion or exclusion of this or that song. Indeed, I was very sorry that my favorite Michel Legrand song (with lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman),"What are you doing the rest of your life?, from the movie,"The Happy Ending" was totally overlooked ... even in the nominations list! Legrand's masterpiece, which was recently revisited by American Idol winner Fantasia Barrino, lost the 1969 Best Song Oscar to"Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" from"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," but it remains one of the classics of the Great American Songbook.
In any event, one certainly cannot quibble with a list that includes everything from Harold Arlen's"Wizard of Oz" perennial,"Over the Rainbow" to Johnny Mandel's"Sandpiper" theme,"The Shadow of Your Smile." Three Cheers to AFI for a poignant trip down memory lane.
comments powered by Disqus
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Thousands Of FBI Documents About Civil Rights Era Destroyed By Flooding
- Ancient Egyptian Woman with 70 Hair Extensions Discovered
- Europeans drawn from three ancient 'tribes'
- Conservatives press the case against the new AP framework for US history
- Who wrote the new AP US History framework? Now we know.
- Pro-Israel groups going after federal support of Middle East Studies
- 100th Anniversary of Beard's 'An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution' commemorated
- University of Illinois Bigwig to Native American Studies scholar Jean O’Brien: Drop Dead