Americans United in Civic Ignorance, Politicians Worse
"'Young Americans failed, but so did the elderly,' said Bunting."'Men and women, rich and poor, liberals and conservatives, Republican and Democratic, white, black, yellow and brown – all were united in their inability to master the basic features of America's constitutional form of government.'"
But this surprised even me:
"Seventy-nine (79) percent of elected officeholders did not know that the Bill of Rights expressly forbids the government establishment of an official religion."
It's a good thing we have a democratic system, where ignorant voters can vote for even more ignorant officials.
comments powered by Disqus
Nathan Shepperd - 12/10/2008
Is it really that surprising though, given how much religious language gets thrown about in American politics?
"only 17 percent could properly define free-market capitalism"
This isn't surprising either, given that a free market can't actually exist with a big centralised government around. I wonder what they thought the "proper definition" was?
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed
- This company claims its video games about the French Revolution are accurate