Americans United in Civic Ignorance, Politicians Worse
"'Young Americans failed, but so did the elderly,' said Bunting."'Men and women, rich and poor, liberals and conservatives, Republican and Democratic, white, black, yellow and brown – all were united in their inability to master the basic features of America's constitutional form of government.'"
But this surprised even me:
"Seventy-nine (79) percent of elected officeholders did not know that the Bill of Rights expressly forbids the government establishment of an official religion."
It's a good thing we have a democratic system, where ignorant voters can vote for even more ignorant officials.
comments powered by Disqus
Nathan Shepperd - 12/10/2008
Is it really that surprising though, given how much religious language gets thrown about in American politics?
"only 17 percent could properly define free-market capitalism"
This isn't surprising either, given that a free market can't actually exist with a big centralised government around. I wonder what they thought the "proper definition" was?
- Watch every presidential debate since 1960
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history