Obana's New PLan
The transition team promptly responded to my concerns by sending me an e-mail touting Obama’s new plan to create 2.5 million jobs. This reminded me of something I once heard said by a Libertarian running for a seat in the Michigan Legislature to the effect that, if every job promised by a politician were actually created then we would all have to have three jobs and the dog would have to have a job too.
A press report (note the larger than life picture) on the plan unintentionally suggests a certain disconnection with reality. Obama promises not to raise taxes on the rich and to lower taxes for everyone else while at the same time tremendously increasing domestic spending. This plan brings up the same question that the larger more active military and various bailouts do, where is all this money coming from?
comments powered by Disqus
- The Story Behind ‘Woman in Gold’: Nazi Art Thieves and One Painting’s Return
- Scott Walker, Allergic to Dogs, May Run Against Political History
- Russian History Receives a Makeover That Starts With Ivan the Terrible
- Parsing Ronald Reagan’s Words for Early Signs of Alzheimer’s
- Here's a look at history of 'religious freedom' laws
- Charlatan or Sage? Contested Legacy of the late Dr. Ben, a Father of African Studies
- Historians make it easy for visitors to DC to understand the history of the Mall
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science
- Ken Burns tackles history of cancer