Obana's New PLan
The transition team promptly responded to my concerns by sending me an e-mail touting Obama’s new plan to create 2.5 million jobs. This reminded me of something I once heard said by a Libertarian running for a seat in the Michigan Legislature to the effect that, if every job promised by a politician were actually created then we would all have to have three jobs and the dog would have to have a job too.
A press report (note the larger than life picture) on the plan unintentionally suggests a certain disconnection with reality. Obama promises not to raise taxes on the rich and to lower taxes for everyone else while at the same time tremendously increasing domestic spending. This plan brings up the same question that the larger more active military and various bailouts do, where is all this money coming from?
comments powered by Disqus
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- In Hiroshima 71 years after first atomic strike, Obama calls for end of nuclear weapons
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize