A Point of Trivia
In the last few months, I have been noticing shortages of various food stuff in grocery stores. Nothing significant, nothing I can't easily work around by substituting or by using the stock in my pantry...but I'm not used to prolonged shortages of common items. The latest one: concentrated lemon juice of which there is apparently a worldwide shortage.
An article in the Calgary Herald explains,
Freezing weather in California and Argentina in 2007 destroyed fruit and created shortages; drought conditions in Spain and Australia have also hurt crops...we will still see shortages in the market in mid-2009, until this year's crop is juiced, packaged and on store shelves across North America.
Friends on a BB I frequent report going to several stores before finding even a small bottle of lemon juice for their Christmas cooking. One writes, the Store I work at was out for months when we finally got the HUGE bottles in they sold out in 2 days. Now its been at least another month and Nada
Not an earthshaking topic...but, as I said, I'm not used to food shortages of any sort, even minor ones due solely to weather. I'm used to the goods of the world being at my fingertips whenever I walk into a grocery store -- even one in rural Ontario. The world's supply-and-demand seems to be stretched so thin these days that there is little flexibility.
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"