2008 Cliopatria Award Nominations: BEST WRITER
Please submit, in comments below, your nominations for the best writer on a history blog since 1 December 2007. [registration not required to post nominations, but the usual rules of civility and conduct still apply] Nominations will be accepted from November 1st through 30th.
Please include a URL for the posts (not just a URL for the blog). You many nominate as many posts or series as you wish in this category, and you may nominate individual blogs or bloggers in other categories as well.
Bloggers do not need to be academic historians. If you're not sure whether a blog or blogger qualifies as"history," nominate them anyway and the judges will make a final determination. If you have questions, feel free to contact Ralph Luker or leave a comment here.
Judging Committee: Manan Ahmed, Another Damned Medievalist, Rebecca Goetz
[Judges are ineligible to win awards they are judging, but feel free to nominate them for something else!]
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 12/1/2008
Nominations are now closed. Winners will be posted here when they are announced at the AHA in January
Jonathan Dresner - 11/30/2008
I'd nominate Manan for this, but he's judging. So one of my other favorites: Scott Eric Kaufman. Not a historian primarily, but an historicist with great flair.
Alun Salt - 11/25/2008
Brett Holman takes what looks like a parochial subject and uses it to explore much wider questions about what society was like and why events unfolded the way they did in early twentieth century Europe. It’s a skill to be able to move from the specific to the general and Holman has it in abundance. Mind you I say something similar most years to no effect, so if he doesn’t win a Clio this year I’ll have to up the ante by claiming he’s cured cancer or something similar.
Brad Hart - 11/23/2008
I nominate Jonathan Rowe of the American Creation blog and Positive Liberty as this year's best writer.
Jeremy Young - 11/11/2008
I nominate Elle, Ph.D., who always makes me think.
Sherree Tannen - 11/3/2008
I would like to nominate Kevin Levin of Civil War Memory as best writer.
Nick - 11/2/2008
I nominate Investigations of a Dog.
- Will President Obama Award Suffragist Inez Milholland a Presidential Citizens Medal?
- US returning land to Japan on Okinawa it's controlled since World War II
- NJ college students discover their building is named after a racist and want it changed
- Sinclair Lewis Predicted Trump—And Us
- Harvesting Government History, One Web Page at a Time
- Bristol Brexit-backer Arron Banks ridiculed for arguing Roman history with Professor Mary Beard
- Niall Ferguson changes his mind about Brexit (he’s now for it)
- Princeton’s Julian Zelizer worried about the rise of anti-Semitism
- New Ken Burns' 'Vietnam War' documentary tackles divisive era
- Rightwing website is putting historians on its “Watchlist” for signs of apostasy